Tuesday 29 April 2008

Busy Busy Bee...

Monday

With a little bit of work, Monday saw the completion of the 'A5 Builder' project. The amendments made were nothing too drastic but has made a world of difference; it just goes to show the value of listening to experienced industry professionals.

As with assignments of past, we have generated a very useful checklist for A7. The checklist comprises of everything from fundamental errors such as checking spellings to hierarchy of submitted CD for print. Checklists like this can prove invaluable during the often busy days before submission.

In addition to the checklist, we revisited our last formal lecture of the first year regarding print and pre-print processes. Reiteration of the lecture in this manor proved to be successful as I personally felt that my understanding of the process was only strengthened.

Monday evening saw many hours of what I can only call fussing over the details; to the point in which my amendments were actually detrimental to my work.


Tuesday


The open discussion about the second year proved to be a great insight into what we can expect (if only a taster). It is quite apparent that the second year is going to be much more intensive than the first; my only apprehensions about the workload is that I will be unable to work the amount of hours that I have been and successfully complete the units.

Following the open group discussion, some of us were invited to a one on one discussion regarding the second year. This was an opportunity to speak openly and honestly about our progression so far and where I feel I want to be; I was pleased with the overall outcome of the talk.

Following a brief fight with the college colour printer and the scurried collation for my 'completed' work so far I was then ready for the seminar class.


Seminar Class

Although not the first time that we had reviewed our work in a critique, on the wall manor I felt a sense of pride of the work that I had done; knowing the work that has gone into it so far to get it to that level. However, and perhaps more importantly, at the same time it gave me a deep insight into how much work I have to catch up on.

From very early on in the class we were told, by several people, not to get too caught up in comparing our work to other peoples in the class. Not as easy as it sounds! Looking around my seminar class in particular there has been some fantastic work produced; Michelle's and Tom's in particular. A Big well done to all of you.

Summary

There is still a lot of work to be done; however it is important to realize how far we have all come as it is all too easy to get bogged down with what is still left to do.

Weeks Tasks
  • Finishing touches for CO-ID work following seminar feedback.
  • CD artwork completed.
  • Preflight checklist.
  • Weekly commitments; journal reading / commenting etc.

--
Thanks for reading

Shaun Bellis


Quote of the week...

Success means having the courage, the determination, and the will to become the person you believe you were meant to be” - George Sheehan

5 comments:

Gary Benn said...

Hi Shaun,

These sorts of seminar sessions are very useful. You have put alot of work in so far, I think you really need to get down and get it cracked this week. It would be so much less stessfull if you had 2 or 3 days to just go over it knowing that it is finished.

One thing I noticed with your goals for the week, The advert is missing. Don't forget it!

Be sure to eMail examples of your work for feedback!

Tom Smith said...

Shaun, I'm not actually sure if I agree with the idea of not comparing your work to other peoples. I think this is a crucial way to develop as a designer. I guess this is the point in collecting inspirational work each week. On the other hand, I think it's important not to get down if you think your work doesn't compare. It's got to be about getting inspiration, I think.

I've got similar reservations about the amount of work in the 2nd year, especially as it's looking almost certain I'll be working 2 days a week as well. This will be where my time management skills will really have to come into play.

Shaun Bellis said...

Thanks Everyone,

Gary; thank you for pointing out about the advert. It is only my checklist but I had missed it off my journal.

Tom; Comparison of your work to others certainly has given me the benchmark and motivation that I needed. With regards work, 2 days is what I am looking to reduce to as well (down from 5).

Rebecca Bradley said...

I think making the check lists are really usefull as you know what you need to do and it stops you from missing out things.

Even making different check lists for each indivual task can help loads, so you can check the task there and then to make sure you havent missed any thing out.

James Bell said...

Glad to hear that you have completed the A5 project. The site looks a lot better after the changes.

Seminar group this week was very useful. Seeing all the work on the wall really reminded me how much work we have all done over the last few weeks.

I think it's easy to forget the amount of work that has actually been done when we are working on it all the time.