Tuesday 22 April 2008

Confusions Galore... or are they?

Monday morning was not off to a good start. Minutes after walking in the door I had found out that I had referred yet another unit; A5. It would appear that I am not very good at taking bad news; something that was apparent after receiving our very first grades way back when. Inevitably, the poor result had a negative baring on my motivation and certainly my concentration from that point in. This combined with the already anxious and frustrated feeling bubbling deep within originating days before did not make the best tasting cocktail.

Needless to say, the presentation was appalling! I forgot the majority of what I wanted to say, my stutter came back in force and the more these problems happened, the worse they got; I was drastically under my time limit and seriously disappointed. I was embarrassed and extremely annoyed at myself; after all, I spend the majority of the week teaching small classes (typically 5 - 8 people) at work - the nerves certainly should not have had the affect that they did.

Fortunately, the 'question and answer' session immediately after the presentation, in my opinion, went well. Getting the majority of the questions right give me the boost of moral that I so desperately needed.

The rest of the day was to be utilized developing the A7 project; however, following the less than fantastic start to the day I do not feel as though I was even nearly as productive as I could / should have been. All that was going through my mind was "What am I doing wrong!".

Tuesday morning arrived and with a good nights sleep(ish) under my belt and I was in a much better mindset and felt ready to tackle the day. Shortly after the morning pleasantries we were called in one by one next door for what turned out to be the re-re-submission of our presentations which, although not fantastic, went much better. The presentation was pretty much on target time wise and a few of the questions later and it was all over and I was once again feeling a little bit more like myself.

With regards the seminar group, I think that because were are all focused with the task in hand (and perhaps a little afraid of opening our own sketchbooks) the seminar class today, although directed at A1, wasn't as strong as previous

Overall, I do not feel that I have had the most productive week and that my performance(s) have given me much opportunity to improve and push myself further. A stronger focus on my time planning this week will bring this opportunity to life.

Thanks for reading.

--
Quote of the week

"To be able to look back upon ones life in satisfaction, is to live twice” - Kahlil Gibran

4 comments:

John Browne said...

I know how you feel Shaun. Referring assignments doesn't bring out the best of feelings, but I chose to look on the brightside of things. I see referring as a chance to improve on what I think is almost perfect. But then again lots of people have their own definition of perfect so in theory everything can be in be altered or improved.

It was good to see your knowledge in typography is still in tact after all this time working on other assignments. The stutter you claim to have had didn't seem like much from where I was sitting. Lots of people stutter and I dare say ive seen a lot worse.

Michelle Bonfield said...

Trying to condition ourselves to be emotion less design machines can only be effective to a point, after all we are only human.

I know exactly how you are feeling Shaun and ridiculously its good you feel that way because it shows doing well on the course means a lot to you, as it does to me.

We've both invested a lot to be here and sometimes the pressures of trying to juggle everything become too much. Don't be so hard on yourself, if I were you I'd be extremely proud of everything you've done so far and the fantastic impression you've made on us all!

Tom Smith said...

Shaun, I think you're being a bit hard on yourself. After all, we're here to learn and I have no doubts that's what you're doing. Keep your spirits up!

In what way did you think the seminar groups wasn't as strong this week? I found it really helpful as it really focused me on A1 and gave me a lot to think about.

Shaun Bellis said...

Don't get me wrong, we were still red hot, its just that I think that we lacked the high level of organization that has enabled us to excel in previous sessions. That doesn't detract from the importance nor benefits of this week it was just an observation.

I wasn't in the best frame of mind when I wrote this weeks journal, perhaps I should have had a nap then wrote it haha.

Thank you everyone