Tuesday 27 November 2007

Action Time

The referral work has now been resubmitted and I am feeling quietly confident this time around. The work I have done for A2 has already played a vital part in the development of the second web plan [A3].

Even though my referral work was started on the night that my official feedback was given, I still found myself coffee fuelled and still [only just] awake and working at 4:30am of the morning of re-submission [today]. This is just another late night amongst many recently.

This week has seen a very important lecture surrounding P.A.R.C. [Proximity Alignment Repetition and Contrast] possibly the most important acronym that we will encounter this year; the explanations of which are common sense when you think about it; however, sometimes it takes someone to point it out to you before you implement for the first time.

In addition to the above, we have also had our long awaited presentation feedback. I am very pleased with mine, apart from the occasional time, my stutter did not show through and my presentation [according to all the ticks on the review form] was a success.

We ended the 'in college' week with a progression of our image restoration. After realising that I had set my image to CMYK [Cyan Magenta Yellow and Black] instead of RGB [Red Green and Blue] the restoration process became much easier.

My 'self study' time this week is going to be once again very busy. Being as I am, after reading my assignments over again I feel that there is room for improvement and I fully intend to make full use of the remaining time before submission.

If I am being honest, I am really nervous about getting the result back for the A2 assignment a failure would be devastating for me at this time. Fingers Crossed

However, looking forward, I will concentrate my efforts on the assignments in hand.

We have had our first attempt at a timed project, a business card design. We had 15 minutes design times and 15 publication time; I must admit i thoroughly enjoyed the two tasks.

Although, this is more like the reality of working as a designer [tight time scales] I saw this more as a personal challenge over anything else. Even though the designs I produced still leave a lot to be desired, overall I am very happy with the results. I look forward to more tasks like this in the future.

--
Quote of the week

"You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind." - Source Unknown

10 comments:

Tom Smith said...

I bet you're glad A2 is handed in again now. Hopefully you can get a good night's sleep now!!

I also found the P.A.R.C. lecture very useful- like you said, it's common sense really, but putting a 'name to a face' as it were, has been really useful.

Suzanne Hullah said...

I think for the most part of this week, I'll be joining you until the early hours getting some work done. Plenty of redbull will be needed!

The business card task was fun, I really enjoyed doing it. I liked the whole 'under pressure' atmosphere and the insight it gave me for the future.

John Browne said...

As usual the main member of team grandad ceases to amaze us with a highley informative and evaluative journal entry. Not to mention the weekly quotes.

I am also dreading the day I recieve my referral work, because I cant help but think that I could have done more to improve. As a result to this, I am stepping up the game a little with the current assignments in order to assure a pass 1st time round (hope im good enough).

Julian Dyer said...

Now that you have learnt about PARC, you should be able to spot it in pieces of inspirational work you collect. If you’re not doing much of that yet, then this is the time to really gear it up. It really brings home how much of an important lesson this is.

As I’ve said many times before, just collect anything you can, staple it in your sketchbook and make notes on it. Label areas which you think PARC has been applied to, and comment on if it works or not. I personally find that contrast can often be done wrong, usually when white text is placed over a light background in a photograph.

Spotting areas like this and circling them will allow you develop a ‘designer’s eye’ so you can spot problems in your own work.

Thomas Wealthy said...

Hello Shaun,

Its good to hear that you are feeling positive about your re submitted work, and I hope that you get your pass mark.

As I wasnt at college this week I missed out on my presentation feedback but I am looking forward to seeing how I actually did on the day.

I think Next monday morning for me will be catching up on a lot of note taking. As I think I will have to learn more bout the acronym P.A.R.C it sounds very important!

Andrew said...

With all this talk of late late nights, don't under-estimate the importance of having a good nights sleep, as you definitely felt the effects on tuesday!

The hand in of the A2 assignment was such a big weight off my shoulders, I felt so better when I saw mine all printed out and ready for deadline!

Yeah I enjoyed the business card task, I kinda didn't get it at first because I wasn't sure what was expected, as I would do business cards in a much different way. Also not being there the day before didn't help much with a few things, but overall I didn't think my attempt was that bad. Yours was up to scratch though buddy, you love that font!

Rebecca Bradley said...

I found the task on Monday usefull to.

Its good to see that you are confident about the A2 assignment hand in. I think that we will learn from what we did wrong on this assignment and try not to get it wrong on the next ones.

James Bell said...

The PARC principles lecture was very useful and I also enjoyed the pressure of the task.

I hope there are more of these tasks in the future as I feel they really help to demonstrate how much work can be done in such a short space of time.

Gary Benn said...

First of all, Im glad you got your A2 done and wish you luck with that. Im sure you will have no problem with it now.

Secondly the P.A.R.C was useful but I prefer the more memorable abbreviations.

Anonymous said...

Comment deadline.