Tuesday 4 December 2007

The Sky's the Limit

Hi there everyone,

This is the first of my two banners. I would like to thank everyone who has commented on the banner so far.

However, as this is an evidence based course, I would be very grateful if you could post additional feedback here.

All feedback greatly appreciated.

[19.8k]


P.S.
Once I have a good enough draft of the other banner, I will
upload that one for feedback also.





Introduction

This week has been a very productive one. Aside from the many self-study hours fuelling my attempt to regain the time lost during my referral work, I feel that the ‘college time’ part of this week has gone really well.

Monday

The resubmission feedback was delivered well. It showed us how simple errors can [and do] have a very large impact on our grades. I personally know that the feedback time on Monday has already had an influence on the direction of both the A3 and A4 assignments.

The remainder of Monday was spent working on the content of A3. I feel that for this particular section of the task, it worked well that this was done in class as many of the students were sharing references; strengthening both the groups bond and giving clarity to areas of the assignment.

Tuesday

With the ‘heads up’ before we left on Monday night regarding coloured pencils, we knew we were in for a bit of ‘studio time’ come Tuesday morning.

Sure enough we were welcomed with an other timed challenge [bring it on :-) ]. Today’s challenge was directly related to a one of the sections in A4; the planning and production of two static banner adverts which conform to IAB [Internet Advertising Bureau] standards [26.4].

Not such a problem? We have done this kind of thing before [with the business cards]. Think again. Although this task was similar in that, we had a strict time restriction and a limited amount of canvas in which to produce our designs.

However, working on 5 different images we had to create 2 different sized [sizes were given] static banners to be used on the web. With the motivational encouragement of Steve, we managed to produce 40 rough sketched banners within a very short period. How short? At one point we had to create 4 banner ideas within 1 minute! I was amazed how much can be done in such a short period with the correct coaching.

My sketchbook is beginning to look more like how I would have imagined a designers sketchbook to look! :-)

I do feel however, that this kind of pressure based production would be somewhat difficult to reproduce at home / without the encouragement of someone else.

Although my design skills are not fantastic [and my drawing skills are even worse], I am overall very pleased with the results [see above for an example].

From looking around the class, it was apparent that the majority of the group really enjoyed the task and as a result produced some good quality work.

The support [as mentioned in previous entries] was as apparent as ever again today. Many people took full advantage of other people opinions and altered their designs accordingly.

This week is set to be my most productive yet. Motivation and self esteem is high and for the first time since I started this course I HAVE A WEEK OFF WORK!

I will [as I am sure many others will] be posting my draft banner ideas on DasForum so please please please if you are not already an active member, sign up, log on and lets get some creative feedback and support given to each other.

Great work everyone

--

Thank you

Shaun Bellis

Quote of the week
“Know your limits, but never accept them.” – unknown source

6 comments:

Michelle Bonfield said...

Banner feedback;

I think the banner has a nice feel to it but adjustments in spacing could really bring it along further.

- Her name at the top is a little too tight to the edges, maybe choose a point size down to give it more space?

- The 'Wakefield jazz' is an important piece of information, possibly give this priority (by changing its size) over the 'Live'.

- Generally I think you have more space to play with. There is a large expanse of black created by the image at the bottom of the banner. Do you need all of this?

If it is intended to repeat the negative space above then the text takes over this area. Maybe move the image down slightly and create more space between the text groups. This will further add to its proximity and may also show a clearer repeat of the negative space above and below.

Hope this makes sense! I'd really appreciate some feedback on my screen design(hint,hint)!

Thanks!

Rebecca Bradley said...

Its good to see that you seemed to enjoy the task, I did to.

Your design looks really good.

Andrew said...

I'll be honest when I first saw your banner I didn't like it at all, but seeing it now it's really grown on me to the point of even quite liking it.

I agree with what michelle said about that fact it stands out a little too much, maybe take the opacity down a little or mess with some of the grayscale colours to soften it up abit.

I know personally I can't talk about this, cause generally I tend to use the same fonts or very similar fonts, but try get away from that font your using there. You've used it on everything ever lol.

Andrew said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
James Bell said...

I agree that the time pressure Steve put on would be difficult to recreate in the self study environment.

The only time I have been able to get close to it is when I was creating my thumbnail sketches where I gave myself 30-60 seconds for each one but this was nowhere near as intense as Tuesday's task was.

Anonymous said...

Comment deadline.