Tuesday 20 November 2007

Practical Magic

Good Points

Once again the practical aspects of this course are beginning to shine through. With this weeks introduction to the third part of the A4 assignment, the image restoration project, my enthusiasm for the course has increased.

Although I have undergone image manipulation in the past, I have never tried to restore a photograph which has been this badly disfigured. Whilst this kind of restoration work isn't exactly ground breaking, the level of personal satisfaction so far is high.


Whilst the lectures are a necessity to our progression to the course, the practical side of things always appears to encapsulate the attention of the class on a much higher level.

Although I wasn't present for the lecture on Monday on the colour wheel, the notes which I borrowed from James Bell proved to be quite comprehensive (thanks James). The colour wheel is something that I had heard of but never really understood until now.

It is now apparent that with each week that passes that the intricacies of the course are unveiled.

I am looking forward to the next two weeks, not only because of the practical work we are currently undergoing but also because of the resubmission of A2. This might sound strange at first, however, I feel that I have a much clearer understanding of what is required to the right side of the marking scheme.

Fingers crossed :-)

Not So Good Points

The exclusion from this Mondays lecture was disappointing. Remaining ever positive, I am sure that this will be the last time that is happens; things like this are not intended as punishment, but as a wake up call.

Aside from the missed lecture, the only real 'not so good point' would have to be the late nights involved in bringing my referral work up to scratch and for the progression of the A3 and A4 assignments. I am sure that they will pay off quite shortly though and I will be back on form.

Targets

  • Maintain strong standards with regards time sheets; this includes the comments.
  • Continue with referral correction work.
  • Further progress the A3 and A4 assignments.
  • Read through this weeks lecture notes.

--
Quote of the week
“I said there was but one solitary thing about the past worth remembering and that was the fact that it is past - and can't be restored” (unless its a photograph!) - Mark Twain

6 comments:

Gary Benn said...

Nice quote.

Have you copied Mondays notes up or do u want a scan on my book?

What i think would have been a good thing to do, when Steve said right start before he had given the lecture, I think he should have done it. It would enable the classes' abilities to come out and give us a very clear indication on learning something new, as there would have been proof.

I know this comment is going to come back on me - hard - so ill shut up.

Andrew said...

I'm glad your finding some personal satisfaction in this task, I also think this is quite a rewarding task, especially when you think what the photograph looked like before and how it looks afterwards. It shows you anything is possible within the many areas of design.

Glad to see your getting on with the A2 assignment, that has taken alot of presidence for me this week and I feel I've nailed it this time around. Just to look at my work, it has a more dynamic feel.

Greg Carrick said...

I know what you mean about personal satisfaction. As I’ve never this sort of thing before, I feel really pleased with the difference made from the original.

Michelle Bonfield said...

I guess the level of satisfaction that we all seem to be enjoying confirms we're heading in the right direction!

Its really refreshing to see your positivity about A2, I admire your attitude. I know how difficult it must have been with time restrictions etc, so well done!

Equally I look forward to your input in future lectures, I've missed your point of view! So hope you've had time to get up to date.

See you Monday!

Suzanne Hullah said...

I have to agree that the enthusiasm of everyone as a whole has increased. The image restoration task certainly has got everyone's juices flowing, which can only be a good thing!

Anonymous said...

Comment deadline.