Monday 5 November 2007

Excellence is the gradual result of always striving to do better.

Overview...

This week has been, so far, an emotional rollercoaster. Over the space of two days I have experianced anxiety, relief, pressure, reassurance and consolation.

First thing (almost) on Monday morning we had a well recieved and very open discussion about the previous term. I feel as though this really cleared the air and fetched everyone closer still.

Presentation...


Although perhaps I didn't let it show, I was a bag of nerves all morning. Will the presentation files work? Will I remember what I want to say? Will the nerves get to me?

Thankfully, in my opinion the presentation went well and almost exactly to plan. The only real concern was the fact that I went 3 minutes over. Perhaps a result of trying too hard not to rush? I am not sure.

Following the presentation and open floor discussion, I felt that my personal confidence and self-esteem was at an all time high.

The results...

The results are in not only for our first submission but also for the 'blogtastic' student of this half term and also with regards the email responses.

Being the opinionated individual that I am, I managed to post the most comments on peoples journal's with the total weighing in at 52 (20 more than the minimum required).

In addition to this I managed to come second with the email responses. However, whilst I have done well in some areas, it is evident that I have lapsed in others.

When I heard the words, "Sorry, but you have referred", as prepared for it as I thought I was I was destroyed.

I think that my body language gave me away to the other members of the group; and I apologise to everyone for reacting in such a negative way.

The Support…

Thank you everyone for the support. As I mentioned before my body language and sudden change in attitude was evident to all.

So much so that I was asked to ‘pop next door’ for one on one support. I honestly believe that I couldn’t have gotten through yesterday with the assistance that Steve gave me. Steve was open, honest, supportive and very easy to talk to. Not only did he help me with to deal with the news I had just received but also give me advice on many other aspects of my life at the moment, which may have had a bearing on my performance.

Thank you Steve.

However, the support did not end there. Upon returning to the class I was presented with the message below as a draft on my blogger account that I had left open whist I was next door.

"I need to cheer up and smile.. I know it's a bit of a set-back, but I definitely need to look at the positives and get past; then pass on the referral time! I need to not let it get to me and effect me too much, the group hates it when I'm unhappy as I am such an integral part of the group, and looked to for advice (being the granddad of the group) as people look on me as a kind of leader.. and have the generous nature to give people help and actually care.. & the group care about me

I should :]"


This coupled with overwhelming support from the rest of the class has put me right back on track. I couldn't have done it without you all.

Seminar Groups...

Welcome Andy and Greg. We have had our first seminar discussion this afternoon and I feel that it went great.

Just as I imagined we are all getting on very well.

I really enjoyed the lectu… no… discussion this morning surrounding “Are we designers or are we artists?”

This kind of activity is definitely more like the kind of things I enjoy. Andy and I, in the absence of Gary (the art connection) Benn, were intentionally tying to be controversial in the things we were saying and challenging responses where possible to fuel the fire of discussion. This again, I feel worked well.

Although an emotional one, I really have got a lot out of this week. It has been a lot to take in all at once but even still an productive one.

--
Quote of the week

Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty, and persistence.” - Colin Powell

14 comments:

Craig Allington said...

Gutted to hear you referred Shaun, but it is your first assignment and it's the hardest one you'll do (you know more what Steve's expecting in the next one)

The important thing is to carry on not letting it get you down and just use it as a learning process and a motivational boost.

If you ever want any advice on any of your work then feel free to email me a copy (and the assignment sheet) and I'll gladly help any way I can, as I'm sure anyone else will too.

Gary Benn said...

I don't know how to comment on this. But as I said to you in the email:

Hope your feeling better now. I hope you don't take it as a negative thing. It is giving you the time to make amendments. I have known courses not have the referral stage, just fail. Please don't see it as a failure.

And as you keep mentioning you have been out of education for a long time, it will take time to get back into it.

Your body language said it all yes, but i don't think it is right for someone to keep their emotions to themselves, keeping it bottled up doesn't help. If anyone should know it would be me.

We are all in this as a group and need to help each-other, we cannot do that if your locked in a cupboard can we now!

At one point you looked on the edge of tears, which hopefully it didn't come to that.

Keep up the motivation you had last half term!

Suzanne Hullah said...

You will always have the support of your classmates to help you through the harder times - like assignments results! Yesterday was a hard day for everyone and we all managed to pull together and be a group. We supported one another.

As Gary has said, please don't see this as a failure, it's not! As Steve has also mentioned, it's a referal, not a fail.

You know where I am if you need help with anything, I'm only an email or text away.

Suzanne Hullah said...

Just to add, I think you are one of the most confident people in the class (aside from Jonny B - of course!), I really hope that this hasn't knocked some of the confidence from you!

Thomas Wealthy said...

I too Shaun referred with which I was really disappointed and know how you are feeling at the minute. I also think people are allowed to react in their own ways so don’t let that dwell on your actions from Tuesday even thou it wasn’t that bad.

The next step for us is to get all the help we can get especially from the feedback session with Steve and also asking our colleagues.

Next Step is to stay positive and I’m sure you will pass next time, no worries.

Tom Smith said...

Shaun, please don't apologise for acting in a 'negative way'. I can only imagine how you felt at the time, and I think that you, as well as others in the class, reacted in a mature, sensible way. I really respect you all for the way you dealt with the news!

I'm really pleased that you feel supported by the group... I think that we've come along so much as a unit in the past week or so, and this can only get better. The honesty and trust we have built in such a short amount of time is amazing, I've never seen anything like it!

Shaun Bellis said...

Big thank you to everyone who has left comments.

The group is growing as a whole and the bond between the first and second years is also growing by the day.

I have identified the weaknesses in my approach and have made movements towards drastic changes that should ensure I have a little more time for college work.

Watch this space.

Craig Burgess said...

It's already been said by nearly everybody here, but don't see it as a fail Shaun, lots of people refer once or twice. These kinds of things a sent to try us, and you'll learn more from these kind of mistakes than you ever could have from getting a merit the first time around.

You're there to learn and you now have something very concrete to improve on. I can imagine how you're feeling because I'd probably feel the exact same way. We're both quite similar.

I hope this hasn't knocked anything out of you because I for one can see you've got potential. Stick at it.

Andrew said...

I was very suprised to hear that you referred, in my opinion you were one of those people who I thought had atleast a 'Pass' already set in gold.

I'm glad what I wrote and the support you got from everyone else in the class & the tutors helped you out. You definitely didn't take the news well, as I said we like a happy Shaun.

It was a very good start to this term I felt, our seminar group worked out great this week.
A-Team for Life.
I'm sure we'll have many weeks of quality debates and discussions, it will help all three of us out alot.

Liam Corfield said...

I was also suprised to here yoy were refered, Iknow you put alot of worki into the assignment, all of us did, I was glad to see on tuesday that you were alot happier then monday night.

As for the presentation, I also went over by about 3 mins, the nerves got to me too, but when you in there it doenst seem as tense.

Rebecca Bradley said...

I just want to say thank you for ringing me up the other day and helpping me sort my blog out.

I didnt pass to but the only way to make sure we do pass is to stay positive and at least we can make are assignment better and learn from what we have done wrong.

Mark Torrington said...

After meeting you for the first time on Monday, I believe that you are an integral member of the group.

You know you own mind better than anyone – so I don’t intend to pass comment, only that agree with Craig Allington's comment.

Anonymous said...

Comment deadline.

Michelle Bonfield said...

Shaun you are the definition of ‘Northern Grit’ (in a complimentary way of course)! If anyone can dig deep and pull it out of the bag then I know you can. The very fact that you were so disheartened reflects how much you want this and as long as you have that hunger you cannot fail.

Take comfort in the number of comments you have received you’re practically famous! We’re all here for you and equally I know you care a great deal for us too (hand me a tissue)!