Tuesday 13 November 2007

Compression followed by relief...

I have really enjoyed this week.

I have had the feedback for the referred submission and to be honest it wasn't as painful as I first thought. It appears that the majority of the issues were a miss understanding on my part of EXACTLY how something was to be done.

I feel really quite positive about the feedback I have received and feel that it will give me better direction for the future.

The more practical aspect to the course is beginning to come out now and I'm feeling really into it.

The lecture on image compression today made me feel right at home. File formatting, coding and optimisation are more suited to my academic background than anything we have done so far.

I know it sounds geeky but even entering the data from the image compression tests into Excel I felt right at home.

Following Monday's class, I feel that I now have a greater understanding of the time sheets. The lecture really put time planning and the time sheets in a format I clicked with. The only real challenge now will be to keep up the positive steps by ensuring that the production schedule and time sheets are adhered to.

The seminar groups have also gone well this week. Although much shorter than hour of last week (due to assignment feedback), proved very useful. The pointers for our assignments during these sessions could make all the difference.


All this with JB's 'monkey' business, this week really has been great.

This weeks targets;

  • Make headway with the referral work for personal review next week.
  • Refinements to be made to the A4, ‘Are we designers are we artists or are we both’ essay.
  • Complete Image compression essay.
  • Complete delivery requirements.
  • Complete competitive analysis – two sites.

I hope that next week will be as productive as this one.


--
Quote of the Week
“Knowledge becomes wisdom only after it has been put to practical use” - unknown source

9 comments:

Mark Torrington said...

Have you used Gantt chart to organise your production schedule?.

I find the electronic applications such as file maker, or even creating your own using Google calendar an essential requirement of the planning process. Steve has allowed me to use Google Calendar, on the understanding that if I deviate from the initial plan, I publish evidence indicating any adjustments. I would ask Steve if you intend to use this method, before proceeding.

Tom Smith said...

It's good that you now know what you need to amend to gain a 'pass'. Receiving the feedback will also, I'm sure, enable you to proceed with the A3 assignment with a lot more confidence.

I also feel a lot more at home with the A4 assignment- this is the area I've most enjoyed 'messing around' with over the past 18 months or so.

Andrew said...

I know you will definitely hit the nail on the head when it comes to improving your A2 assignment, I was very suprised when you referred. The commitment you show along with your hunger to learn will see you through this course smoothely.

I enjoy our seminar group, I think so far we've always been able to be very productive in it, even though last week we only had 15minutes in each to work.. the time after the seminar group in the libary was good for light relief and discussion too.

Gary Benn said...

I used to use excel as a gant chart with lots of bar denoting the time scale. (the longer the bar the longer the task) It was useful but very stress full to set up.

I also found that the new essay for a4 is easier than the first. As the first was very opinionated and it cannot be wrong. It is like the unknown and humans naturally dont like the unknown!

With image compression, it works around facts, figures and statistics. they have to be right. I feel this makes it slightly easy!

Webomatic said...

Hi All

I’m in the same boat as Shaun, the refer work has to be done this week to give my self time to check it over to make sure that it is done rite, also about “Gant” charts I don’t like using them much they always seem to confused me, one I have learned of recently is Google calendar, which you can store on a daily basic and update regularly, but also would this count as proof that you have done your work I have no idea. Could be an idea to look into or maybe ask Steve about.

Thanks, Martyn

Rebecca Bradley said...

Glad to see that you have taken the feed back really positive. This will help you loads for the next assignments.

Its also nice to see that you know lots about image compression. As I didnt know that much about it so from the presentations ive learn loads.

John Browne said...

Be as geeky as you like, as long as you feel at home. I too have enjoyed this week including monday, which for some reason, I gained a fare few funny looks :P lol. Enough of that any how, we'll get to the bottom of it one day....

Keep up the good work shaun, be possitive and enjoy it while it lasts.....

Shaun Bellis said...

Hi Everyone

Thank you all for the positive comments this week.

Being completely honest I have never heard of the 'Gantt' method, however, as there has been such an interest I will have a deeper look into it for sure.

I have been working hard this week when possible to get my work back up to pass standard.

To Andy --> You are very much correct about our seminar group. The session in the library was both informative and much more like how I imagined that seminar groups would be if we had more time to get together in person, out of college hours.

To Garry --> I am very much a 'facts and figures' man myself and have also found this section welcoming.

To Rebecca --> I do not claim to be an expert on the area of image compression, however, it is of great interest to me. It is an area which is suited to my background and personality.

To JB --> "Enjoy it while it lasts" I know what you mean, since the beginning of the course I simply do not know where the time has gone!

Before we know it we will all be in the second years position and then hopefully in the position of Jemma and Oliver.

--
Many Thanks

Shaun Bellis

Anonymous said...

Comment deadline.