Tuesday 16 October 2007

A weight off my shoulders...

Now that the assignment is in I must admit, I feel much better in the knowledge that there is now nothing else I can do to it.

The pressure, that I didn’t think was there has suddenly gone. Replacing it is the excitement and apprehension of things to come.

I am undoubtedly worried about the grade I will receive for my work, but the ignorance of not knowing is filling me with the optimism of at least a pass.

As daft as it sounds, handing my work over to the receptionist (particularly my sketchbook) I felt almost like a parent leaving their child at school for the very first time.

It’s strange the attachment that has grown between me and the book that at first I had little understanding and respect for.

The presentation on… well, presentations, I found, was very useful. Little tips like, keep you hands out of your pockets, maintain eye contact and a strong voice makes me feel as though I have been told some kind of inside secret.

Although during school I did suffer badly with a stutter, I have since developed a technique of almost improvisation acting.

By taking on the role of a confident, outspoken person, I find it easier to deal with situations like presentations and such.

Having not done many presentations I am again a little apprehensive but as Steve said, it is perfectly normal to feel like this.

Being truthful, I am looking forward to doing the presentations, particularly if they are group to class presentations; this would in my opinion be a good way to ‘break us into it’.

I am pleased that we now have half term to clear our heads before the next project; this should give us an opportunity to hit the ground running.

In addition, I am looking forward to working with Andy and Greg in our new seminar group. I am sure that we each have different skills to bring to the table which would should be interesting.

--
Quote of the week
The way to learn to do things is to do things. The way to learn a trade is to work at it. Success teaches how to succeed. Begin with the determination to succeed, and the work is half done already.” - Source unknown

7 comments:

Suzanne Hullah said...

Just like you, I'm also slightly worried about my grade for this assignment. Mainly because we haven't done a web plan and because this is our first there's apprehension over what is right and what is wrong.

Here's to hoping we get the grades we hope to achieve.

Craig Burgess said...

Try not to worry too much Shaun (and Sue).

I was the same with the first assignment, afterall it's impossible not to. Trust me, this is one of the hardest assignments that you'll do on the course because you have to learn the structure of the course and how to submit things.

After this assignment is gone, everything else will be slightly easier. You've just overcome your first hurdle!

John Browne said...

Hope for passing isn't a big issue in my opinion. As a personal statement id be happy even if i failed because id see it as learning, therfore failing would help me see where i went wrong and what I can do in the future to better my self in up coming assigmments

Shaun Bellis said...

That is a very interesting approach JB.

I hadn't really thought of it that way.

However, I think that I would still prefer to at least pass and learn from other peoples mistakes.

Only time will tell.

Craig Allington said...

Even if you pass (or get a higher grade) there is very little chance that anyones work will be 100% perfect, and Steve will no doubt point out to you what you've done well and what you need to improve on.

In some ways its good to say 'I'd be happy even if I failed' so you don't get put down too much, but at the same time it's still best to think positive.

Michelle Bonfield said...

Hopefully you're mind feels clear and re-freshed by now Shaun. I know mine does!
On the subject of presentations I was really surprised to read your comments.
I just wanted to congratulate you on the amazing inner transformation you must have made. You certainly exude a great deal of confidence and maturity.So much so you are a real asset to our group!
I look forward to your presentation and you have my definate respect.

Shaun Bellis said...

Thank you Michelle,

That is really supportive and very kind of you to say.

I do feel as though my mind is clearer at the moment.

Hope you are well.