Tuesday 5 February 2008

Playing Catch Up...

Catch Up...

Another great productive week!

My first priority at the start of the week was to catch up on the notes I missed last from the previous week.

I had planned for about 20 minutes worth of copying / catching up time; however, come first break I was still at it (in the cafeteria might I add).

I think that this really set the tone for the week as many of the tasks I have undertaken so far have taken much longer than originally anticipated.

Usability & Accessibility...

This is becoming an area of increased interest to me. The more I learn, the more I find there is to learn! The prospect of making a living from consultancy later in life is something certainly worth considering.

I can feel a
DasForum post on the way.

Timed Task...

Of the two timed tasks we have had so far, I would have to say that this one has been the most enjoyable and rewarding for me personally. The atmosphere was much more productive which lead to a much better design; and in my opinion,
the printed version worked well.

Everyone had a much clearer idea of what had to be done and the seriousness in which the time scales were to be taken.

Feedback Groups...


The new seminar groups are working very well for me at the moment; the level of productive discussion, whilst remaining light hearted in places, is high.

I feel as though after each seminar session that I am much more comfortable with what is expected for each stage of the assignment.

Conclusion...

Overall this has been a very productive week. There has been a good balance between work and play making the level of output and quality high.

There is still much more to be done this week during self study so please keep an eye out on both here and on
the forum for work to comment upon.


Thanks

Shaun Bellis

--
Quote of the week

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy” - Proverb

5 comments:

Webomatic said...

Hi Shaun

Yes I have the same problem with planning my time I always underestimate the time it will actually take. I am sure this will get better eventually with times once we learn more detail about the tasks and learn to judge them better.

Usability is always good, so is the testing although his will take a long time when it comes to testing more vigorously. At the moment I have been taking screen shots of the main two browsers I have been using through out the creation of the website, as it will help proof of testing. Later when I have to do it with more browsers and pixel sizes I am sure that I will run into problems.

Thanks, Martyn

James Bell said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
James Bell said...

Time planning is a skill that is developed over time as we get more familiar with the time it tasks to preform certain tasks.

In the first assignments my time planning was terrible and it has gradually been getting better but it still need a large amount of improvement.

Andrew said...

I think your timed task design overall is good, there's a few things I picked up on though. I'm not sure if it mattered, but your barcode is the wrong way around; can't really say if thats gonna effect anything though. Also I think the big blue squares with the really not subtle font, kinda take away from the overall design.

Your rest of your design is based on subtlty if you look at the fonts used for the name, but then theres a random big block and blocky text, try get running themes going in your work.. your steadily improving with your design work all the time Shaun.

Shaun Bellis said...

Hi Andy

I am not sure what you mean about the barcode... I am almost certain that it is the same as the illustration.

Simplicity is the route in which I wanted to go; so I am really pleased that you picked up on that.

The large blue square denotes the colour; however, it was not originally that size. I enlarged it to accommodate for colours with larger descriptions / names.

Improvement can only come from practice tasks like the ones we are undertaking.

Thank you all for your comments. Feedback is very valuable to me.