Tuesday 15 January 2008

Check Point One

After much apprehension over the festive period, I am very please [and proud] to say that I have made it into the second semester.

Whilst not an overly promising start, due to illness; I am sure that this semester will prove to be even better than the previous.

Monday's lesson saw the classes introduction to Dreamweaver. Dreamweaver was one area that I was under the impression I was very knowledgeable about; however, our creative playtime and the lecture once again proved that there is still much to learn.

I am pleased to announce that I have passed the A3 assignment that I was worrying so much about; and with some alterations, A4 can be turned around also.

I do feel that the presenting of the grades worked much better this time around. The nervous tension was still there but there was also an air of excitement. I would be happy for the grades to be presented in this manor in the future.

In all honesty, I was expecting a much lighter morning for our first day back [perhaps a team building exercise / ice breaker as on our first day]; however, upon reflection, there were things that had to be done and the schedule is so tight that this simply couldn't have been the case.

From looking at the up coming assignment sheets, I am really looking forward to getting my head down and making as much progress as possible early on. The production schedule MUST be abided by as closely as possible to ensure that I have a CLEAR week at the end of the assignment to iron out problems that have recently been brought to my attention.

Regrettably, I missed the class today [Tuesday 15th] due to illness. However, I will ensure that all notes are caught up on and any gaps are filled in.

The atmosphere in the class on Monday was fantastic; which was surprising considering it was results day. Whilst everyone seamed relaxed and positive, we all now have a much clearer understanding of what has to be done in order to succeed on the course.

The class were asked a rhetorical question during our Monday morning talk [and paraphrase a little] "Is this what you want... are you willing to do what it takes?" the answer without a shadow of doubt is YES! This is what I want to do, I am willing to do what it takes.

www.shaunbellis.co.uk

--
Quote of the week

Plan backwards as well as forward. Set objectives and trace back to see how to achieve them. You may find that no path can get you there. Plan forward to see where your steps will take you, which may not be clear or intuitive.” - Donald Rumsfeld

7 comments:

Tom Smith said...

Hi Shaun,

Hope you're better soon!

Glad you did well on A3- I know how much work and time you put into it!

Like I've said on other blogs, I thought the manner in which results were dished out was better this time, but I would prefer to get them sooner. The wait is always frustrating.

Webomatic said...

Hi Shaun

I would like to also say YES. Also would like to add Deamweaver is more easier to use as i first thorght, although i still need to do a lot of work in it (In self study) to ensure i get the best out of the software. At the moment i am watching online tut's which are helping me a lot with the more advanced side which is css for fonts and such which i have to do as it is in my web plan.

Thanks, Martyn

Greg Carrick said...

Hi Shaun,

Hope you’re feeling better!

I agree with you on the presenting of the grades, it worked much better this time.

Having a lighter Monday morning would have been nice, but Steve did say before the holidays that we need to get straight into the work when we get back.

The atmosphere on Monday was surprising and I was very nervous about my results but the good atmosphere really helped.

Andrew said...

Seriously, if you didn't do well on A3 I'd of been tempted to kill myself, seeing the amount of effort and time you put into that and the referral work. Your commitment to this course is so unwaivering it's untrue, I really don't know how you keep this pace of work up, yet maintain a job and a girlfriend, really impressive.

You'll definitely enjoy this module of the course, being the little coder you are.. I could see your eyes light up as Steve said 'Will anyone be coding this all in CSS?', remember not to over complicate things and think about getting the most out of your website, in simple ways.

Victoria Fisher said...

Hope you’re feeling better now.

Well done on passing A3. I think it was better the way to receive the results, but I think the mood was better this time because the grade were better, which show we are improving. Hopefully next semester the grade will be even better. For the assignment that people have referred on they can learn from their mistakes, and I found this useful to do.

Like you I thought I knew some things about Dreamweaver, but from the demonstration I learnt better ways to use Dreamweaver.

Rebecca Bradley said...

Hope you get better soon.

Its nice to see that you did realy well on your assignment.

I thourght that the presentation on how to make a site realy helpped as there is so much to learn.

Craig Burgess said...

I'm glad you've decided to go for making your site in CSS Shaun, it's a good decision if you already have a little experience of it.

Just remember (and this goes for anybody): keep testing your website all the way through your development, not just at the end. Do a little bit then test it in your browser. Don't use the Dreamweaver design view for testing, it's rubbish.

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's first websites.