Tuesday 4 March 2008

A6 - Evaluation

A6 – Evaluation

Good Points

This has been once again, a fantastic unit for me. The levels of creative opportunities and levels of excitement in the class have been unmistakable. Following the quite theoretical based units, A2 & A3, it has been a refreshing change to get much more involved with the mechanics of the design process with A5 & A6.

I am pleased to say that the use of the time planning sheets during the timed tasks has greatly evolved in comparison to previous tasks, and have proven to be a real asset when ensuring that all submissions are met on or even before time.

Whilst I still feel that the majority of the work that I have produced for college is a little on the ‘safe’ side, I am very proud of the work I have done so far; each perhaps for different reasons, but proud nonetheless.

I have intentionally included the timed projects in the ‘Good Points’ section as I feel that they have been the reason that I have enjoyed these units so much.

Hokai

My initial thoughts when were handed the 'Hokai' brief for this project was that we were restricted in the space we had, the text to be shown and the face that it had to be showed on, so … how many solutions can there be? Many as it turns out. Whilst some of the designs were similar, the majority of the class had taken a much different approach to the same brief.

Jonathan Gee

Following the ‘Hokai’ small label adventure, the much larger (A5) ‘Jonathan Gee’ article added a different flavour to our design pallets; perhaps the variety if tasks that we’ve undertaken during this term has kept things interesting and dynamic.

Vodaphone

Regrettably, I absent for this task; however, much of the work I have sampled from other students looked fantastic.

Grid

The ‘Grid’ task was the first part of our final timed assessment of this period. The way that the design was split into two sections helped to show us the importance of establishing a solid grid (comprising of columns) before entering the content; but most of all, sticking to it.

Story

The ‘Story’ task was, in my opinion the more technical and enjoyable of the two sections. My initial thought was that the second part of the task was going to be much easier and it was simply a case of positioning some pre-written text; however, by the end of the task, some hour and a half later, I had a great sense of pride from implementing the practices I have been taught to date. By amending the tracking, leading and kerning I was able to ensure that both the top and bottom of each of the three columns was aligned perfectly. To aid in my manipulation of the text I opted to use a pull quote; the practical use of the pull quote also provided the design with a break in the text which, in my opinion may make the piece appear more attractive to read.

Zuzana Licko Presentation

I got a lot of personal satisfaction from the research for the presentation. Until recently, I never realised how much thought and effort goes into the production of a typeface. Inevitably, whilst researching Zuzana, my path crossed with many other famous typographers in brief. It would appear that as with any kind of design, typography, and typographers, are subject to quite harsh criticism and a thick skin is part of the job description.

Areas that could have been better

Whilst the application of time planning has greatly aided my development during the timed tasks, I regret to say that they have been some what neglected this time during both the A5 and the A6 assignments. I believe that in many ways this can be credited to the condition of my health through this unit; however, I do not feel that it is an excuse as if anything, I perhaps should have used to opportunity to make the time planning work harder and suit my circumstances.

I feel that due to my unfortunate illness and subsequent absence, I am at a disadvantage to many of the students. Whilst I have successfully caught up on the lecture notes, there is no substitute for actually being there.

Although, as I mentioned before I am very proud of the work that I have produced (each for various reasons), I do feel that the designs could have been more adventurous. An increase in the amount of inspirational work in my sketchbook may give me give me an confidence boost to stretch myself just that little bit further.

Summery

Although my attendance and health has not been quite what I would have liked it to be, I have really enjoyed this set of units. I feel that my skill development and technical knowledge has increased fourfold since the beginning of the course. My only regret is that my opportunities to follow up lectures notes to obtain a greater understanding are currently quite sparse; however, this issue certainly is one that I have already put measure in place to address.

Based upon the rate of my development so far, I cannot wait to see what the next term brings!

Targets

- Improve time planning.
- Increase amount of self-directed learning.
- Increase the sketchbook work.
- Be more adventurous when designing.
- Get some rest during this half term.

Word Count: 906


Thank you for reading.

--

Quote of the week

“Don't mind criticism. If it is untrue, disregard it; if unfair, keep from irritation; if it is ignorant, smile; if it is justified it is not criticism, learn from it.” - Unknown Source.

2 comments:

Rebecca Bradley said...

I agree that these assignments have probably been the most enjoyable out of them all so far.

I didnt think that I would like the timed task that much. But I feel that it was a good opportunity to experience what it is like in a studio environment and we was able to produce more creative work in the timed task.

Andrew said...

1. You've spelt 'Summary' wrong in your sub-titles, an the blog entry.

You share my ideas around the last few assignments we've done; I'm glad to see that you've really enjoyed them. I have to say throughout these I've seen your design side develop quite alot; especially if you look at the site you did for A5 which you designed months ago. And the website that your doing in your own time at the moment, designed a week ago. There's such a huge difference between the two, you might not even realise it.

I'm not sure about the coding side of things, because as we both know.. I'm not really one that enjoys looking into that type of design (even if it's a need now). But I'll be sure you have, seeing the dedication and commitment you have to this course, the time and effort you put into it. Aswell as the health sacrafices you've gone through along the way. Don't let it kill you though.

I personally hope we keep doing designed time tasks like that, it really keeps your design skills sharp and at your finger tips. Keeps everything fresh, and you think of ideas, never thought of before.